Jungle trip in the deep forest of the Bago Yoma near Taungoo (Burma Myanmar).
Watch elephants working in the jungle and carrying teak trees.
- When is the best time to go:
Elephants do not like (as us) working under the sun and with high temperature.
- March and April : Teaks trees lose their leaves in March and April; temperature is very high in the jungle. It is definitively not the good period to come. The elephants will work very little (or may be only very early the morning) and the teak forest is not very beautiful. As it is a real working place for elephant (not a park), we do not recommend this period but it is still possible.
- Monsoon (June to September) : It is the favorite time of the year for the elephants. The weather is much less hot and it rains really a lot. Unfortunately, because of the rains, a lot of temporary bridges are destroyed and the forest roads are almost impracticable (except elephants….).
We do not organize anything for May-June – July for that reasons. However, it could be possible to try to organize some trip in August and September according to the weather. Thank you to contact us.
- End of Monsoon - winter time (Octobre to February, the best : November to January). It is by far the best period. It is not hot so the elephants work regularly, the access roads are practicable in 4x4 without too many difficulty (even no difficulty in December and January), the forest is green, the trees have all their leaves.
How you reach the elephant working place :
The elephants work in the forests around Taungoo. Currently only the forest of the west is authorized for the tourists.
You must join the places of logging by four wheel drive car or with a local pickup.
Keep in mind that we do not use luxury car but local pikc up or 4 wheel drive.
It should take around 3 hours to reach the elephant, it depends where exactly they are and the road situation.
Our tariffs are according to the type of car which you wish to travel by: pick up, 4x4 air-conditioned, Jeep.
You can ask us a quotation by email or specify that you want to visit the elephant when you fill up our
- 1 day : You leave Taungoo at 6 AM, lunch in the forest at the elephant place and you will arrive back to Taungoo at the end of the afternoon (could be a little longer if roads are in bad conditions, heavy rains...etc.)
- 2 days + 1 night : You leave Taungoo at 6 AM, lunch in the forest at the elephant place. You will continue with your 4 wheel car to the Karen village, deeper in the forest. Night in the village (accomodation is very simple, bamboo house).
You will stay in the village and around the village all the morning, lunch in the village and you will be back to Taungoo at the end of the afternoon.
We ask you to carry along some mosquito net (to give in the village), some drugs or some tools we can give to the villagers (we will specify to you before the trip what a specific village may need).
days + 2 nights :
You leave Taungoo by 4 wheel drive car for the Karen village in the Jungle. You will spend the day in the village, learning how the people survive in the Jungle. Night in the village.
The second day, you will reach the elephant working zone, lunch and diner in the forest. You will sleep in a small village or in bamboo house near the elephant area.
3rd day : Early morning, you will follow the elephant mahout to get back the elephant from the jungle (the mahouts leave them free for the night). Lunch in the jungle and way back to Taungoo in the afternoon. (photos of the village and car ).
We need to receive your full booking confirmation at least 2 weeks before arriving in Taungoo (3 or 4 weeks is even better).
As you will go on the real working place of the elephant, we need to determine where they will be when you arrive. Takes a little time.
Some photos :
© 2009 Ananda Travel Yangon. Copyright and all rights reserved.
E-mail : email@example.com.
Write to webmaster