- Acces to south Chin state is only possible via Pakkhoku during dry season (octobre to April). During rainy season, it is dangerous/impossible to cross some rivers which do not have bridges
- All year round access is possible via Kampellet. Anyway, we do not recommend coming during the rainy season (monsoon) even in Kampellet. It rains 6 m in 5 month..... even if you have bridges on the road via Kampellet, flooding or landslides are common.
- It is possible to do some day trek or even trek up to 2 night stops in Chin village. You MUST be aware that accomodation in Chin Village is totally minimal (sleeping on the floor, no bathrom except water in the garden...)
- During winter time, it is very cold in Chin Hills (elevation 2 000 to 3000 m). Accomodations are very simple, not hot water even in hotels (cf below).
- No internet or wifi in Mindat area.
We know this region very well. We have been organizing treks in this area since very long time and we come every 3 months for community project we have around Mindat.
During years, you had only the Victori GH (and somes army GH).
In 2013, we have now 2 more guest houses and an hotel (the Oasis)
Bathroom in the hotels in Mindat.
The Oasis hotel at the entrance of Mindat is so far (2013) the only hotel where you can get hot water for the shower (if you request 45 minutes in advance). You have to know that all other hotels do not have hot water, even when it is 2 C° outside.....
Bathroom and toilets are always outside your bedroom (excepté Oasis hotel), and usually this is very very simple. One bucket of cold water on a ciment floor. DO NOT EXPECT anything else.
If hot water, modern bathroom etc... are important or mandatory for you, do not come in Mindat (2013), everything is very very simple there.
Mindat city is built along the edge of the mountain. There is not a real down town, but you may consider the Victoria GH and the market as the center of the city.
In front of the Victori GH you have a restaurant that was during a very long period the only restaurant in town.
Speciale autorization . Since March 2013, you do not need a special permit to go in Mindat and you do not need any more a licensed guide to come.
For Matupi and Kalewa, or for the north Chin, you still need a special permit.
For your visit around Mindat, you should (must) take a local guide, otherwise you will totally miss the interesting things to visit.
| ( One good reason not to go in Chin state during the monsoon.... even at the end of September like on this photograph.
The river before Pauk- but it is not the only one- does not have a bridge so when it starts to rain a lot, or if the water if too high, you can try with your land rover and above 1m deep, better to take a boat....)
(Mindat Pauk road in September)